Today is St Patrick´s Day!
To celebrate, let´s talk about the University of the Fighting Irish! Located in Indiana, University of Notre Dame is the home of the fighting Irish.
Did you know?
- The Golden Dome that sits on top of the Main Building is covered in 23.9-karat gold leaf. Students often find flakes of gold in the surrounding grass during a re-gilding, so I guess you could say gold is literally falling from the sky at Notre Dame!
- The football helmets also get some gold: Other flakes collected during the re-gilding are used in their painting process.
- The architecture of the South Dining Hall is reminiscent of a medieval Guild Hall. It reminds many people of Harry Potter, which prompted food services to host the first Harry Potter-themed dinner in 2009. This is now an annual tradition!
- Two movies were filmed at Notre Dame: “Knute Rockne, All American” and “Rudy,” both which are football related.
- It has been said that if a male and female student holds hands and walk around the two lakes on campus in the shape of a figure 8, they will get married. A similar tale is if two people of the opposite sex kiss under the Lyons’ arch, it will lead to marriage.
- Students, under no circumstance, walk up the steps of the Main Building. The popular superstition is that you will not graduate if you do so. Therefore, it is a commencement tradition to take a picture on the stairs.
- Notre Dame boasts seven Heisman trophy winners, the highest number in the whole country.